Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Fall 2008 Television Season

I would have done this sooner, but between real-life work and losing track of time now that I'm no longer in school, it kind of slipped my mind. But better late then never, right? So, here goes. An extensive list of what television shows I'll be watching this fall television season. In other words, this is what I think you should be watching if you're not already.

Returning Favorites

These are the shows I'm anxiously awaiting to see return to the little square screen in my room.

30 Rock



How is it that a show with 17 Emmy nominations (among plenty of other wins and noms in the past year) still gets lower ratings than Two and a Half Men? Clearly, all is not right in TV land. At least I can proudly say I won't be one of those missing out when the third season premieres. I'm looking forward to seeing Jack make his way back to 30 Rock, seeing Liz try to adopt a kid, and figuring out what the hell happened to Kenneth in Beijing. Of course, the guest stars this season are looking pretty good, too. Oprah, playing herself, is the biggest name, but Jennifer Aniston will also appear as Liz and Jenna's old roommate from their days in Chicago. Keep an eye out out for Blake Lively and Leighton Meester to appear as well in a flashback to Liz's high school days, and Tina Fey's twin will play Lemon's adoption agent. No, not Sarah Palin. Megan Mullally.

House



The season 4 finale was ridiculous, but in the best way possible. It's going to be interesting to see what the fallout is, specifically what House's relationship with Wilson will turn into. Also, the producers have promised things will heat up even more between House and Cuddy. Since it seems this season will actually focus on the original characters again, maybe the quality of the show will go back up to pre-Tritter days. Let's hope so.

Law & Order: Criminal Intent



After this past season, which was basically downer after downer for Goren, I'm hoping this upcoming season is a bit more kittens-and-rainbows for the quirky detective. But that probably won't happen. However, perhaps he'll at least be able to move on now that Declan Gage has effectively tied up all his loose ends for him. Well, all except his relationship with Eames, which is still up in the air on many levels. Meanwhile, CI's lesser half is changing a bit. Chris Noth's Logan is out, and Jeff Goldblum is in. I think this'll be a good shake-up. I love Noth, but Logan tends to be a dull character. Hopefully, Goldblum will bring some excitement.

Pushing Daisies



Even though it only had 9 episodes, the first season of PD was pretty brilliant. However, the show still has room to grow, and hopefully it will with a full season. As long as the show keeps the quirkiness alive, they should succeed. Also, here's hoping the relationship between Ned and Chuck is less tension filled. I love the two of them together, but they tend to turn angsty when it comes to their situation, when what the show needs is to return to its lighthearted roots.

The Office



I had pretty much lost hope for The Office by the end of this last season. All but one episode (Local Ad) had disappointed me greatly. But then comes the episode Goodbye, Toby, and the show manages to redeem itself and entice me to come back this season. Between the hilarious storylines woven around Toby's goodbye party and the brilliant casting of Amy Ryan as the new HR rep, Holly, I fell for this show once again. I'm looking forward to seeing things develop between Michael and Holly, and whether or not he'll be able to overcome his awkwardness and general assholeness to start something with her. (Also, I'm curious if she'll ever find out that Kevin is not actually mentally retarded.) Of course, I'll also have my eyes on the Dwight/Angela and Jim/Pam storylines. And hopefully we find out who the father of Jan's baby is (I know she said it's a sperm bank baby, but I'm crossing my fingers for Hunter).

Mad Men



OK, so technically this is a show left over from the summer season. But since it's still airing episodes while other shows begin their new seasons, I figured why not include Mad Men in this little round-up. The show's sophomore year has managed to exceed expectations established by last year's exceptional first season, delivering more delectable storylines with strong character growth. How will this season's plots tie up in the end? Will Sal come out to anyone yet? Will Betty finally stand up for herself now that she knows about Don's affair? Will Peggy and Pete have more couch sex?

New Shows I'll Probably Check Out

I'm actually not excited about any new shows this season. But there's a couple I'm willing to give a try.

Fringe

It sounds like an interesting premise (albeit, somewhat welltred by X-Files). And I'll pretty much watch anything from JJ Abrams, so count me in.

Kath & Kim

I'll be spending half my Thursday night watching comedy shows on NBC anyway, why not give this one a chance while I'm there? Plus, Molly Shannon proved she's still got it in last season's guest stint on Pushing Daisies, so I'm looking forward to her more permanent return to television.

Shows I Might Finally Give a Chance

For one reason or another, I didn't catch these shows in their first season. Things might change this time around.

Gossip Girl

I made the mistake of prematurely judging this show last year, thinking I couldn't possibly like a show about a bunch of bratty, rich kids. After catching a few episodes from the first season, though, I've decided to give this show a chance. I'm not thoroughly convinced of its supposed greatness, but I see promise, so I'll definitely be playing catch up for this one.

Breaking Bad

I meant to watch this when it first premiered, and I heard many a great things about it during its initial run, but I somehow never got the chance to watch an episode. However, I finally caught some repeats (after a double dose of Mad Men on Sunday nights) and have decided I need to see this show. Bryan Cranston manages to outshine his already excellent performances from Malcolm in the Middle here, playing the cancer striken high school chem teacher who decides to make his own meth and sell it, saving the money for his family once he's gone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Carolina,

When do 30 Rock and The Office start? I'm way amped for it. I work right near Liz Lemon's apartment on the show (she "lives" at 86th and Riverside).

I also recently attempted to start watching Gossip Girl and I couldn't get into it. I'm going to try watching two more episodes, but if that doesn't work out then I will be preparing by Gossip Girl blows, Degrassi is better article and potentially piss off the entire internet.

Carolina said...

30 Rock starts Oct 30th, but the season premiere will be on Hulu a week before. The Office starts Sept 25th. I meant to add premiere dates to this post, but forgot. Whoops.

Also, I definitely suggest watching more Gossip Girl. I was also hesitent after the first few eps, but I just finished the first season today and I'm officially hooked.